Chelsea boosted their top-four hopes as Mason Mount’s first-half strike inflicted a fifth straight defeat at Anfield for champions Liverpool.
Thomas Tuchel’s side dominated the first half and thought they’d scored through Timo Werner in the 24th minute, but the goal was ruled out by VAR after an extremely tight offside call.
However, Chelsea’s dominance did eventually pay off when Mount fired past Alisson to give the visitors a deserved lead.
Liverpool showed more urgency after the break, but they struggled to find their fluency in attack and failed to create many clear-cut chances as Chelsea held on for what could prove to be a crucial three points in the race for Champions League qualification.”
18 – Only Manchester City (24) have earned more points than Chelsea (18) since Thomas Tuchel took over eight games ago; Frank Lampard earned only seven points from his final eight games in charge. Spark. pic.twitter.com/59Hdnt5ueb
— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) March 4, 2021
Victory sees Chelsea, who continue their unbeaten start to life under Tuchel, move up to fourth ahead of another crucial game against Everton on Monday (kick-off 6pm).
Meanwhile, Liverpool’s difficult season continues as Jurgen Klopp’s side, who stay seventh, go into the record books for the wrong reason after a fifth straight home defeat.
Liverpool: Alisson (6), Alexander-Arnold (5), Fabinho (5), Kabak (6), Robertson (6), Wijnaldum (5), Jones (5), Thiago (4), Mane (5), Firmino (5), Salah (5).
Subs: Jota (6), Oxlade-Chamberlain (5), Milner (n/a).
Chelsea: Mendy (6), Azpilicueta (7), Christensen (8), Rudiger (7), James (6), Jorginho (8), Kante (7), Chilwell (7), Ziyech (7), Mount (8), Werner (7).
Subs: Pulisic (6), Kovacic (n/a), Havertz (n/a).
Man of the match: Andreas Christensen
Opta facts – Liverpool’s dismal home form continues…
- After going 68 games without a league defeat at Anfield, the second-longest such run in English top-flight history, Liverpool have lost each of their last five at Anfield – it is the first time they have ever lost five consecutive games at Anfield.
- Klopp’s side have become the first English top-flight reigning champions to lose five consecutive home league games.
- Liverpool have earned just 10 points from 11 Premier League games in 2021 – only West Brom (nine), Newcastle
- Chelsea have conceded only two goals in 10 games in all competitions under Thomas Tuchel, the same return as they had after 10 games under José Mourinho – both managers’ 10th game was a 1-0 win against Liverpool.
- Since Thomas Tuchel took charge of his first league game as Chelsea boss (January 27th), only Manchester City (24) have picked up more points than the Blues during his eight games as manager (18) – previous boss Frank Lampard earned only seven points from his final eight games in charge.
- Liverpool have earned just 10 points from 11 Premier League games in 2021 – only West Brom (nine), Newcastle (seven), and Southampton (four) have picked up fewer points since the turn of the year.